Thursday, April 21, 2011

Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge...

Lady Anna and I were both interested in the "Realms of Venus" announcement of an Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge. It sounded like a lot of fun. However, entry to the contest was closed early due to too much work. So we were both too late. But it looks like we may just have our own contest. Now this could be fun. I've done a 1490 Venetian dress and I have the pattern. But it may be fun to do a different style. The basic rules of the official contest state:

Layer 1: A camicia/shift/smock/shirt or drawers or corset/pair of bodies. I don't expect you to make all three.

Layer 2: Either an underskirt or under-dress/petticoat, or doublet and slops.

Layer 3: The final layer will be either an over-dress, or a loose gown, or a cloak/cape.

Layer 4: An accessory - any one of the following: fan, pocket/pouch, hat/jewelled accessory for the hair, zibellino (also known as a "flea fur"), hanky, gloves, girdle, or shoes. A partlet, a set of Venetian shoulder/neck ruffs (if they are separate from the partlet), standing ruff/collar, and a muff are all also accessories.

I'm rather curious to see if we get this going as a cool Drachenwald contest. If so, I could see us doing this each year with a new theme. This could be LOTS of fun. Now I'm off to plan the right style with the fabrics I currently have.

No comments:

Post a Comment